Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Progress with the Fence, Arbor and Front Door

It's been three months since the last post and we've been enjoying the garden produce, but not doing much work on the hardscaping until now.We installed the rails on the fence posts. Then, I custom cut each picket. the triangular top of each picket matches the peak of the roof, so it really ties in well. We decided on alternating fat and skinny, but against installing a handrail on top for simplicity. Mike attached most of the pickets to exacting standards.


I also recently put the arbor together. I was very nervous that the triangular peak just wouldn't look good, and it was terribly difficult to get all the angles and measurements right.


It may not be so obvious,but we replaced our front door and it really improved the livability. The red door pops, it has windows along the top that let in more light into the living room, and we removed the cage-like security door. In it's place there is a retractable screen door. It rolls up so you can't see it and it doesn't obscure the front door. And when you want a breeze and an unobstructed view, you can slide the screen across the opening. It really makes the front garden a room.



After a very busy weekend, we're ALMOST finished... No gates or post tops. The arbor fits so well, we couldn't be more pleased!

2 comments:

  1. I love the fence and arbor. Little touches like matching the peak of your roof on the arbor and pickets is a small detail that adds so much. I want to do an arbor like that for my house. Did you use a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, I just came up with the design of the arbor. That's why I was worried about how it would look, since triangular arbors like this are rare (I've never seen one).

    ReplyDelete